You are booked on the online workshop Boost your reading skills for your writing I will run next week (18., 19. + 21.07.2023 from 9.00 a.m. 1.00 p.m. – yes, one o’clok)
This message is long; please read it carefully.
1. LINK TO OUR COURSE
- We will meet in a virtual room with ZOOM.
- This is our connection link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82751322872
- Secret code: 0000
2. COURSE HANDOUTS
- I will post the course materials at course start in our Zoom room.
- We will work every day from 9.00. to 1.00 p.m.
- Please plan about 2 hours individual work
- Please be punctual – we start at 9.00!
4. MATERIAL TO PREPARE
You will work on your own texts (books or articles), so please bring scientific texts in the language of your choice (articles you need to read – NOT written by yourself). PRINT them, you will write on them (NO book of the library). Choose chapters or articles with text, not only equations or illustrations. Choose texts on which you have not written or highlighted anything.
- One article containing a section you need to reread many times in order to understand it (you should have read it once, no matter if you did not understand it). Localize the section you want to work on (2-5 pages). Please choose a section with text.
- One article you’ve never read and absolutly want to read. Just read the abstract to ensure you want to read it.
- One article you’ve never read in which you search only 1 information (for instance : article A refers to article B. You want to read B just because of the method described in it). We will do an exercise to avoid loosing track starting many articles because of the references you find). Don’t read anything.
- Four articles you’ve never read about a new topic related with your research. You want to read them all because you have a goal – for example : my goal is to find the pros and cons of the methods available for X. This is the reason why I’ll read those four articles. Please just read the abstracts to ensure you want to read them.
- One article you want to write a critical report about – you must have read and understood it. Here notes and highlights are OK.
- Five abstracts – don’t read them. The titles sound interesting.
- Additionnaly, you need two simple texts (not scientific papers) in English or in your mother tongue (length: 2-3 A4pages each).
B. Writing materials
- paper or your PhD diary – if you have none, this course is a great opportunity to start one. More information here.
- 3 big sheets of paper (A3 or more). Alternatively: a white board
- pen or pencils of 4 different colours.
C. Additionnal material
Additionnally, you need:
- a good Internet connection
- a microphone and headers
- a webcam would be nice.s
- a timer
- water to drink, perhaps something to eat during the break.
- silence – make sure you will be able to work concentradedly during the course. You will need to work on your texts; you will also need to communicatie orally with the group. Make sur nobody will distburb you- nor being disturbed bby you. If necessary ask people around you to leave you in peace.
5. REPLAYS click here
If you have any question, feel welcome to contact me: email@example.com
Visit my blog!
December 4, 2021
October 22, 2021
September 15, 2021
May 23, 2021
November 1, 2020
June 14, 2020
April 24, 2018
February 5, 2018
August 12, 2017
July 3, 2017
April 6, 2017
October 1, 2016